Wednesday 29 January 2014

Character Concept and Changes

          Over the last few days I have been gathering reference to help with my character concepts. I've spent time looking at Norse/Viking era clothing, armour and weapons to produce something that would work with the environment.
Norse clothing references gathered
From this I used a base 3D model of a male human and made renders of it. From that I sketched over the renders as it helped to understand how all the amour and clothing would fit together. 


Norse character concept
After showing it to David and gaining feedback I went ahead and started blocking out the armour, beginning with the helmet. I did this in Maya and used one of their tools called quad drawing which made it move along fairly quickly.


Helmet Blockout

After this I gained some feedback from my lecturer, who rightly pointed out that this is far too organic to be a statue. After talking about what I could possibly do we came to a conclusion that I would be better off simplifying the model, making it more angular and more stone-like. With that being said here is my new set of references to give an idea of what I now intend to model:
Statue References
You can see from the latest set of references that I am now aiming to make the statue angular, even more so than the statues in the image, with strong lines. There are also weapons and a shield reference there which I want to add to the character, possibly dual wielding two hand axes, or just one large axe like that statue reference is in the top left.



New 'statue' concept





No comments:

Post a Comment